Key line between Fleetwood and Poulton must ‘pay for itself’ in growth

The country has been through a ‘fiscal shock’ and projects need to ‘pay for themselves’

A pledge to re-open the disused railway line between Fleetwood and Poulton is still on track according to Prime Minister Boris Johnson – despite work yet to begin more than two years after he visited the site.

Mr Johnson put the project at the forefront of a £500m national fund to restore closed down tracks and saw for himself what needed to be done during a visit in November 2019.

Speaking on his return to the Fylde coast on Thursday (February 3) to see the new Winter Gardens Conference Centre in Blackpool, he said the Government was still behind the rail scheme.

He said: “We’re behind the scheme and we want it to happen.”

But he added the country had been through a “fiscal shock” and said “what we want to do are projects that will really pay for themselves by driving private sector growth.

“The Fleetwood to Poulton-Le-Fylde raliway line is a brilliant idea because it will make both places more attractive to live in, to invest in and to attract jobs and growth.”

Blackpool North and Cleveleys MP Paul Maynard said progress was being made and he had spoken with ministers and Network Rail about how to make it happen.

He said: “We have done the feasability study and know how we are going to do it now.”